Modern Buying Trends: A Marketer's Insight
You’ve probably all heard of the seven ‘Ps’ of marketing: Place, Promotion, Process, Physical evidence, Product, Price and People. But with things in marketing changing so quickly, it’s often difficult to keep up with new trends and ideas. And as a one-man band—as is often the case with photographers—it’s even harder to implement them.
You may have a great brand and website, amazing work and many social media followers, but are you focusing your marketing efforts in the right places, where customers are actually active? In fact, do you know how your potential customers are tending to buy?
In this article, I share some of my findings in the hope that they resonate in helping you to better understand the modern buying landscape.
1) People are becoming flooded with data, so they are looking for a more personal experience and less spammy approach. Break out of silos.
2) People want less ‘quick sell’ and a longer-term relationship with long-term value. They don’t want to be talked at, but talked with. Nurture is a key buzzword in marketing right now.
3) People want a fairer value exchange for handing over of personal data—consumers feel that we should consider it a privilege to have their data.
4) People have an expectation of instant, 360-degree relationship and support—and this will grow in terms of expectation: ever-increasing touch points where customers expect to be served and delighted. In-store, online, mobile, social, smart watches, smart televisions, connected devices, in the car, in the air, and many more are already available or coming quickly.
5) More ad-blocking is coming; it’s big business. So more personalised information that is relevant and targeted to raise engagement to get through this.
6) The mobile platform is going to grow even further, 'by as much as 59% over and above 2015'*, so our content needs to reflect this, and work on it. (*Kaysha Kalkofen, Cofounder, tSunela)
7) As people have so much data, they are looking for trusted sources to help make their decision. Testimonials aren’t always enough, and genuine product heroes with high credibility are becoming much more popular, as are small groups of people who are becoming influencers.
8) Data and its collection and resourcing is the currency of the future.
9) Your marketing needs to be a customer/consumer resource.
It is generally agreed in marketing circles that email—really targeted, educational and personalised email—still has a greater bang for your buck than any other form. The relationship with customer and business has also changed in that many potential clients come to you having fully researched what you offer. In business terms: who is the company and do they like you? The customer knows 85% of what they think they know about you before they have even met you. That puts the power firmly into the hands of the buyer—so they don’t want to be sold to but want to be nurtured to fully understand the value you bring. This makes your USPs all the more important, and the journey you take your customer on is vital.
So, do your research on the places your target customer hangs out in. This means understanding the various platforms and their demographics, and their potential. For example, Facebook users are 76% female and 66% male, and ages 25 to 34 represent 29.7% of all users. As of 2014 stats, 85% of Pinterest usage is female and the top three searches are for planning recipes (37%), home decoration (17%) and a wedding (14%). With 10.4 million UK users, that’s a lot of potential for wedding photographers.
Keywords: OVI, One Vision, One Vision Imaging, Zenfolio, buying, insight, marketer, marketing, marketing, modern, photographer, photography, professional photographer, professional photography, selling, trends
Recent PostsVideo: How to Sell Your Photos Online Holiday 2017 Shipping Deadlines Tips to Sleigh the Season The Lowdown on Photo Downloading NEW iPhone 8 Cases! Available Now 8 Tips to Improve Your Sports Photography Enter The World We Live In Photography Contest! Making the Leap to Full-Time Photography New Pre-Order Feature! Presell Fall Photos Today! Stunning New Templates for Fresh New Look